National Fire Protection Association Statistics 2013 – 2017
Heating Equipment Fires in Residential Buildings
- An average of 52,000 per year Home Structure Fires involve Heating Equipment
- 490 Civilian Deaths on average per year
- 1400 Civilian Injuries on average per year
- $1 Billion in Direct Property Damage on average per year
#1 Portable Heaters Fires
- Portable Heaters are a subset of Home Structure Fires accounting for an estimated 44% of Heating Equipment Fires in the United States each year. (2 of every 5 Heating Equipment Fires)
- 22,880 Home Structure Fires caused by Portable Heaters
- The term “portable heater fires” applies to those fires that are caused by catalytic heaters, oil-filled heaters, or other heaters that are designed to be carried or moved for use in a variety of locations. Portable heaters are a subset of space heaters—small heaters designed to heat specific areas or rooms of a building.
Think About It!
- Portable Heaters represent the number one Heating Equipment fire hazard in residential buildings. They accounted for a majority of the fatal heating fires in homes.
- Think about the odds!
- You may have only have one Central Heat source, one Water Heater or one Fireplace but a Tenant can put a Portable Heater in every room of the rental property.
- Many of these type of fires are preventable!
- Placing the heater too close to combustible items
- Leaving the heater unattended
Additional Heating Equipment Fires
- Fireplaces (32% of Heating Equipment Fires)
- Central Heat (12% of Heating Equipment Fires)
- Water Heater (10% of Heating Equipment Fires)
- Heat Lamps (2% of Heating Equipment Fires)
Get Protected – Let Stop Loss be your Trusted Source for Heating Equipment Fire Hazards
Fill out the form below to get a Stop Loss expert to consult with you about how to minimize your exposure to any possible Heating Equipment or Portable Heater Fire liability and damage.